The Hospice of St Francis
The Hospice of St Francis cared for more than 1000 people from Dacorum, St Albans, Harpenden, Markyate, Chesham, Amersham and the surrounding villages at home, in our building and in the community last year. Our vision is simple – that excellent end of life care be available to all those with terminal illness in our catchment area when they need it and wherever they are. Our approach considers the ‘whole person’ and we aim to provide care which ensures a ‘good’ death, free from pain, fear and distress.
Our services for patients, their families and carers include:
- Inpatient Unit with 12 Inpatient beds, providing 24-hour holistic care.
- St Francis @ Home, our community support service which is delivered by seven highly trained, specialist nurses who provide 24-hour, year-round palliative care and support to patients and their families in their own home.
- Supportive Care which provides emotional, psychological, social and spiritual care to patients, carers and families, including children, facing loss, both pre- and post-bereavement.
- Outpatient support including palliative care, physiotherapy, complementary therapies, art therapy, counselling, welfare advice and spiritual care.
- Education and training to our own staff and other local healthcare professionals to further raise the standard of palliative care in the region.
We need to raise more than £3.7million every year and only receive 19 per cent from the NHS. We rely on the general public for 81 per cent of our financial support. See www.stfrancis.org.uk for more information.